Sir Mark Walport is the Chief Executive Designate of the newly formed UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), which is responsible for the public funding of research and innovation.He was Government Chief Scientific Adviser (GCSA) and Head of the Government Office for Science from April 2013 to September 2017.
His previous career highlights include:
- Director of the Wellcome Trust
- Professor of Medicine and Head of the Division of Medicine at Imperial College London
- member of the India-UK CEO Forum and UK-India Round Table
- member of the advisory board of Infrastructure UK
- non-executive member of the Office for Strategic Coordination of Health Research
Mark received a knighthood in the 2009 New Year Honours List for services to medical research and was elected a Fellow of The Royal Society in 2011.